The last post left you with this:
At this point we had sanded the corners to round them a bit, wood puttied any nail holes and the corners, and caulked the two inside seams. The next order of business was to prime the plywood. My favorite primer is KILZ latex primer. It works great and is water based latex for easy clean up.
Oh and not to worry, I had plenty of "help" with the priming. Well mostly I try to prevent animal hair from getting in the paint the whole time the "help" is helping so maybe it isn't much help, but a little belly rub is good for moral (to clarify that is me rubbing kitty belly...not vice versa)
I applied the first coat evenly by keeping it pretty thin. Using a foam roller helps in the process and doesn't leave brush marks. I actually only used a brush to prime the toe kick under the front of the cabinets.
Love my paint clothes don't ya! Hey whatever works. We have done so much painting in our house that we had a couple of cans of primer left from other jobs so I just used it and put the roller screen right in the can so I didn't have to pour paint into a pan. It makes things that much easier.
So after two coats of primer...
Purdy right? I was so happy to see the plywood go away! The final black paint (to match our existing base cabinets) will go on after the counter tops get installed.
With the priming done, we moved right on to tile. Well, it wasn't exactly right away, because Devin and I went to 4 different stores looking for tile that would "match" the tile that was already there. The previous homeowners had left us 11 tiles that they had used to replace some tiles but they were not the same tiles, but close. So we used them and two more boxes of tile that we managed to find that "matched" pretty well.
I just started in one corner and worked my way across trying not to work myself into a corner. We purchased pre-mixed tile mastic to just spread and set the tile with a square notched trowel. We also used quarter inch spacers to keep things nice and straight.
I marked the tiles that needed cutting and Devin manned the wet saw (borrowed from my mom, she has the good tools). He did a bang up job I must say.
It started looking great right away!
With a little carpet trimming, I continued the tiling to the edge of the island and worked my way around.
So now the before and the after...the best part.
Grouting to commence in T-minus who knows when, but hopefully this week sometime!