We then placed the cabinets back in the kitchen in the new configuration to determine where we wanted the island to ultimately be.
The new and improved configuration would relocate the two existing cabinets side by side rather than the L-shape they were previously. Some blue painters tape on the floor (under Lillie's belly) represents the amount of overhang that will be on the "stair" side of the island where counter height bar stools will "live".
So after we shuffled the cabinets a little this way and a little that way, we decided our final placement of the cabinets. With this decision made we could then mark which tiles needed to be removed so that the cabinets could sit on the concrete foundation. We had toyed with the idea of just patching the tile and then placing the island on top of the tile, but then considered the fact that some day we will have luxurious bamboo floors and all the tile will be ripped up again (hopefully not by us, but the flooring contractor) and so this way all of the tile can be removed without leaving some under the cabinets or having to move the island.
So I marked the tiles to me demolished with and 'X' so we were sure to remove only what we needed. Also we made the decision to remove any tile that was already cut, so that we could install full tiles in their place.
Oh and one small hiccup for this project was that the electrical (the island had 4 outlets in it before and we want to keep 4 outlets in our new one) was coming out of the foundation at the very edge of the prior wall that is no longer there. So we had to make a small trench to run the electrical from old point A to new point B. The new point B is a small wing wall that will come out from the island on both ends to support the overhang.
The discovery of the actual electrical location (we had been making guesses of where it would come out of the floor from the day we conceived this crazy idea) was a bit of a downer for our DIY-ing enthusiasm. But when Devin emerged from the garage with this AMAZING little tool, a pneumatic air hammer that used the air compressor to be exact, we did a little celebratory dance to the DIY gods. This tool may be small in size but it did the trick of taking out small pieces of concrete in order for us to run the line to point B. It was like a mini jack hammer!
This tool may be small in size but it did the trick of taking out small pieces of concrete in order for us to run the line to point B. It was like a mini jack hammer! YAY!
We then proceeded with demolishing the tiles that were so nicely marked with an "X".
This was not a fun job. It was long and tedious, but not necessarily hard. We were so thankful we didn't have to do the entire kitchen. This was the point I believe that we vowed to hire a flooring contractor to demolish ALL of the tile in the future.
Next was the WORST step in the entire project to date. Removing the mastic from the concrete. This is what the tile is adhered to the floor with and it is the bane of my existence.
The first attempts at removal were by hand with a chisel and hammer, but with little success. So Devin brings out the big guns once again, the pneumatic air hammer. The chisel bit made removal of that pesky mastic a cinch, ok well it was still hard work, but went way faster than if were were operating with old school chisel and hammer.
One downfall to this process of using the pneumatic hammer was that the mastic was flying ALL over the house! Thankfully, all the animals were in hiding (because they pretty much hate the noise that that tool makes) to avoid getting binged by flying debris.
I was on clean up duty after
With the floor cleared, we were able to place the cabinets and double check our electrical trench with our first wing wall frame (more on the framing in another post) to make sure we trenched it long enough to reach. NOTE: The electrical wire will ultimately come up through the frame by means of a drilled hole to be inside the wall.
It looked perfect so we then patched the trench with cement and leveled it out. Done and done! We waited a day for the patch to set before we officially set the cabinets and started framing. Oh and of course we had help, and because of all of our 'help' we had to cover the cement up with plastic as it cured.
Stay tuned for a super excited post about leveling, framing, and wiring! Woo Hoo! I can honestly tell you that it is looking FABULOUS!